Social Icons

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Is diet causing my red skin flares?

I'm not sure why diet has crossed my mind recently, but I have been thinking about it for a while.  Others like Jake and Lib have gone on the gluten free, sugar free diet and seen great results, whilst there are other recoverers that have maintained a terrible diet.  For myself I've notices my skin colour and texture fluctuating regularly, and whilst I know this is common, I wonder if I can influence it via diet.

Quite red in the face and hands after 9 months of recovery from topical cortisone steroid addiction

To test this theory I'm going to be good for the next couple of week.  Lots of salad, chicken and fish, plain unprocessed foods, no alcohol and minimal sugar.  It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.  If there is, we can start to investigate if my body is sensitive to certain food types.

I know some people will question why I wouldn't have worked this out earlier, however remember that earlier I would have been constantly exposed to this body stress and hence my body was only showing small signs of flushing.  After coming off cortisone my diet has changed and it's possible that when my body gets a dose of something it's sensitive to, it's creating much more noticeable reactions.

The redness in my body has been mainly concentrated to my face, chest and hands and it's this localisation that also leads me to think that food may be playing a small role.  Of course let me stress that the cortisone recovery is the main problem, we know this, but is food playing some role and can I get a better quality of life if I monitor my food?

Time will tell, stay tuned in readers :)